6 July 2019

Sponge pudding and custard in the microwave

I felt nostalgic for the sponge puddings with custard which I was fed as a child, but didn't have much time. Or any ready-made custard. Or custard powder. Or cream. But after a bit of googling I found this easy way to make it in the microwave, which I mostly record here so I won't lose it:
Whisk 450ml milk into 3tbs caster sugar and 4tbs corn flour in a jug.
Blast for 2 minutes in the microwave, whisk and then repeat. Should be a thickened paste. If not cook a little longer.
Pour the paste slowly into a large bowl containing two eggs, whisking enthusiastically.
Pour this mix back into the jug, microwave for another minute and then whisk in 50g butter and half a teaspoon of vanilla paste (or the equivalent of extract etc).
It tasted better than most other custards I've had.
The sponge pudding I made just the way my mum always did - in about five minutes in the microwave! Microwaves were new and exciting in the 1980s and entire books were written about how to get the best results from them. This was all before they earned their reputation for reheating ready meals for lonely singletons. The basic pudding is:
Microwave 115g butter and 115g caster sugar in a microwave for 15 seconds. Beat with a wooden spoon until a unified paste (should be quick given you heated it all).
Beat in two eggs until a unified paste, then sift in 115g of self raising flour and beat that in.
Grease a pudding basin, put your filling in the bottom (jam, syrup, fruit compote, Nutella, etc ... I did pineapple), dump the sponge mix on top and cover with a lid or cling film.
Microwave for five minutes, test with a toothpick and cook longer if it needs it.
It was lovely and brought back a lot of memories, but I have no idea how we managed to eat something this heavy every Sunday after a full roast dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment